Monday, February 13, 2006

Spent the whole day sitting...

...at the computer or running mini-errands around the house. Weekend was REAL good - had a fair bit of fun and a great Sunday at church. Itz weird how people will just love you for no apparent reason - at least, its weird to me. I mean, yeah, brothers and sisters and all that, and its what you're supposed to do as a Christian - love others, etc. The funny thing is, when that love is real and genuine and it touches you, it still makes me blush and stutter. Kind of. Anyway... Something I wanted to share with y'allsoutthere was PANDORA.com, which has become a permanent fixture when I'm surfing the net here. The original tip-off came, as always, from the one and only a.ndy, who somehow just knows about these things when they matter. And this does matter: pandora is essentially the kind of radio station I never knew existed this side of my dreams. You tell them/it/the bunch of music nurds hunched over the screen/the waiting rows of servile computer bankage/whoever it is a couple of bands or song titles you like, then they turn that into a "radio station", trying to find more music that will suit your taste. When a new song comes up, you can rate it, which influences the next suggestions. Essentially, you go through a fine-tuning, customisation progress, the results of which I have to say I'm well chuffed with. Apparently, you can e-mail your stations to people and all that - thassall a bit much for this Luddite as of now. However, and this is probably the main reason I'm pimping them so hard, I got an e-mail from them the other day giving me some advice on how to use the service. The funny thing is, the e-mail was signed by Tim Westergren, the man behind the whole idea, not one of his minions. That struck me as unusual, and since I do really dig what they're doing, I went and answered the e-mail just right there (there wasn't the usual "this is a computer-generated, worthless piece of PR drivel, so don't even bother to react at all" blurb at the bottom, either). And then, and then - Tim wrote me back! I was stunned - what a top bloke. I mean, where do you ever actually get that - the dude in command isn't to haughty-taughty to reply to a thankyou mail by one of us! I am now officially in love (in a veryhairy-chested, male, football-and-beer-loving "I love V8 engines" sort of way) with the service and would highly recommend you go check it out. It might just be the future, as long as they can manage to keep it free of charge somehow. Good on you, lads!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home