Friday, February 03, 2006

Mohammed caricatures

Hello everybody, How'r y'alls? Itz another Friday and I've just had a brief visit from a good friend (who happens to be my insurance broker). What's been on my mind mostly, though, is this case of a Danish newspaper having printed caricatures of the prophet Mohammed. Now, I have no desire whatsoever to get involved in the politics and feelings aroused by the whole matter. What surprises me is how none of the news websites I check regularly seem to want to show pictures of the drawings in question. Wow! You lot must be really scared. Normally, the mass media will unflinchingly show footage of ANYTHING, no matter how gory, senseless, ugly, brutal, disfiguring or otherwise inappropriate. However, come a case where one of their own was fired for his apparent lack of taste, and hey presto - no pictures, sirree, no, not here, not with us, sir, we, err, had nothing to do with it, err, why don't you go look somewhere else, sir? We're all just peaceful-minded individuals with a lot of respect for others' privacy and beliefs, sir. Bollocks! Please forgive my strong language, but this is hilarious - I can't believe major newspapers and their online editing staff don't have the nerve to show even one small jay-peg of the offending item. Not even with a two-pager legal disclaimer before it, nuh-uh. Nada. Zip. Wasn't me. So, in the name of investigative blogatism, I obviously HAD to trawl the murky depths of the net and, ta-daa!! Here's one of the offending pictures - shown, I would stress, not because of any desire to ridicule other religions, but simply because, according to the press, we all have a right to information, do we not? I dare say I obviously lack the religious background to find any meaning in this particular pic. There were others, such as the famed "bomb turban" pic, but hey, here's where I finally managed to locate this and other of the images in question, so if you're curious, go look for yourselves...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home