Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All I wanna do, is have some fun

Yagshemash! Wednesday lunchtime, the day after Helloween and I'm nursing only the slightest of hangovers. We had some very civilised visitors over last night, so were very sedate and merely indulged in a few glasses of Merlot, the remnants of which I am trying to swirl out of my blood system with copious amounts of vanilla nut-flavoured coffee. Today is dedicated to nothing more exciting than cramming Hebrew (it's a public holiday here, All Saints' Day), so I'm relishing this opportunity to flee into blogland. Anyway, what did I want to tell you about? First of all, Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington are running a series of three free podcasts between now (today, November 1st) and Christmas. Having been a big fan of the original (free) run of 12 casts and having refused to pay for their recent series of "pay-per-casts", I was, of course, curious and quick to subscribe. Overall, I must say I don't think I've missed out on much by not going for the pay-per-series - listening in now, it doesn't sound like anything's changed or the humour has evolved greatly. However, this is not a bad thing, so check it out by surfing to the Guardian's website and downloading/subscribing.
(this image unsurprisingly courtesy of www.timminchin.com)
Right, what else? Oh yeah, blogfather and overall wiseguy a.ndy once again pointed me in the direction of Something Very Good by telling me about Ozzie comedian/musician/rock'n'roll star Tim Minchin. Check out his website and get an earful of some of his stuff - I think he blends a very rare mix of fine, self-deprecating humour with sarcasm, irony and occasional twists of the profound to great effect. His "Peace Anthem for Palestine" has to rank among the funniest and best-executed pieces of musical comedy I have ever heard, bar nothing. I wish I had an audio feature on here so's you could just listen right in... Right. That'll have to be it for today. Sorry if I'm not managing much in the way of more profound or personal posts these days. I dunno, mebbe some day soon. Anyway, be safe and cheerio for now...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse the question here because it doesn’t relate to this post, but rather to your profile. What is extreme ironing? Or extreme wheelbarrowing for that matter? Inquiring minds want to know...

8:05 AM  
Blogger eddyquette said...

Dearest Parlancheq,

I am most horribly sorry I haven't reacted to your comment for so long. Unfortunately, I've been offline for several days due to my b..stard internet provider cutting me off. I shall post a blog entry ASAP regarding your question (though I fear that grace of the powers of Google, I may be way too late to help) and am immensely flattered you would have even perused the profile of one as humble as I... Cheerio!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Profile perusing is one of my hobbies. ;) Yours was most entertaining!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home